Neighbor Pat

Last Thursday was like every Thursday, I went from one thing to the next non-stop, all day long. No, actually, last Thursday was busier than a typical Thursday. Husband was out of town, I had a board meeting in the morning, and taught Art in Action in Zebu's class, in addition to all the standard after-school activities.  Somehow I didn't have time to squeeze in breakfast and lunch.  I'm used to it though, so I thought.

6:45 p.m. and we're finally home. While putting the bikes away and trying to figure out what to make for dinner, I heard a voice: "Hey Winnie, look at the sky!" It was neighbor Pat. My immediate thought was: "ugh, I don't really have time for this."  It's almost 7:00 p.m. and I hadn't made dinner.  I managed to force a smile, turned around, then walked towards Pat and said, "Hi, what did you say?"

"Look at the sky. It's beautiful tonight." Pat replied.

I looked up and sure enough it was beautiful. I took a deep breath, smiled, and thanked Pat for pointing that out. I realized at that moment how much I needed to slow down. I was so lost in the day-to-day madness and forgot to "smell the roses."



I walked back in the house, gave the boys big hugs and kisses, and made the simplest yet most appreciated dinner!

婆婆(grandma) egg noodles with 合掌瓜 (chayote), pot stickers, peas, and tofu puff

To wrap up the day, we received the cutest Halloween card in the mail from Yeye and Nano!


If you're like me and feel like your life has taken over, slow down, look at the sky, and feel the moment. It only takes a few seconds but it really puts you in a better mood. It worked for me.


Comments

Popular Posts