An Old Poem

I'm very nostalgic lately... old photos, old poems... love them. My friend Adam posted on Google+ a poem his late grandpa left for him and I thought I'd share this with you.

"Here's a poem I found in the back of a small book of baby pics my late grandpa Harlan had of me. I'm sure he wanted to share it with me and would be proud I'm carrying on the tradition. So...here it is...


Only A Boy

I remember the first time I tried it,
And even though she was much younger than me
She was far more composed and serene.

I was eager, yet awkwardly backward,
Uncertain of how to proceed,
But she seemed not to notice the hesitancy
With which I prepared for the deed.

It was out in the barn, I remember,
At the close of the lush summer day.
And the evening was scented with clover bloom
And the fragrance of freshly mowed hay.

I remember I spoke to her softly,
And the touch of her body was warm.
And my fingers moved awkwardly over her throat,
While she nestled her head on my arm.

Looking back on it now, I remember,
How I stood while my head seemed to spin
With the thought of the thing I was going to do

Long later I stood up,
Uncertain to stay or run,
A tingle with pride, and yet shaking and awed
As I know that at last it was done.

I remember it seemed some hours later
How my heart hammered under my blouse,
With the joy of a boy that's turned to a man
As I made my way back to the house.

Twenty years have gone by since that evening,
But I've never forgotten, this I vow,
The thrill and joy I felt as a boy
On that day when I first milked a cow."



Comments

Popular Posts