Why Lemons and Chambray, Part 2

Why Chambray?

I haven't known this word for long.  In fact, I remember exactly the first time I encountered this word.  It was a few months before my wedding when my then future mother-in-law (now known as Nano) called from New York and told me she bought a St. John dress as a revenge to my then future father-in-law (now known as Ye-ye) who just bought an expensive toy.  Here's how the conversation went (more or less):

Nano: I bought a St. John dress to wear at your wedding. I can't believe I spent so much.
Me: You did?  I love St. John!
Nano: Yeah, I figured I should treat myself if he (Ye-ye) can buy himself an expensive toy.
Me: Haha, good for you!  What color is it?
Nano: Chambray
Me: Cham what?
Nano: Chambray... it's a silverish blue.  That's the color of your wedding, right?
Me: Yes, I can't wait to see it.

You know how there are words you just can't stand (one of my friends can't stand the word "moist") and there are words you love?  Since then, chambray has become one of my favorite words.  And I just knew someday I would incorporate that word into something I do.

What is chambray?  According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of chambray is: a lightweight clothing fabric with colored warp and white filling yarns.  You'll find this word in most sewing books.

The color of chambray is generally a soft indigo blue.  Blue has always been my favorite color, but chambray just sounds so much better.

Chambray is the fabric of my husband's shirt refashioned into my favorite tunic, without his consent.




Chambray to me represents this life-changing event, my wedding. It simply represents love. That is why chambray.

Comments

Popular Posts