Beet greens

I'm on a mission to eat better and to feed my family better foods. I've tried kale and it's now a staple at our house. This time, I've decided to try beets. I've never cooked beets before but with my very handy tablet and the Internet, I'm not afraid to try.

Found these organic beets over the weekend.

And look at these rainbow carrots. They look nutritious.

I brought home these colorful beets.

The greens are just too beautiful to toss away.  I Googled to make sure they're edible, and they are! According to Self Nutrition Data, they are a good source of protein, folate, pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Zinc, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese. It gets a 5 star in optimum health.



I cut them off the root, rinsed them in cold water, then cut them up into 1 to 2-inch pieces, roughly.


Set a pan on medium high heat and add about 1/2 tbsp of oil. I used avocado oil. 

Let the oil heat up a bit, about 15 seconds. Then add 2 slices of fresh ginger and toss for about 15 seconds. You'll start to smell the aroma from the ginger.

The stems take longer to cook so I usually put them in first and let them cook for a minute.

Add the rest of the greens and toss so each piece of green gets coated with a bit of oil. After a couple of minutes they'll start to wilt.

Cover for 15 seconds (the number 15 just works in this recipe!)

They shrink and are ready! You do not need to add salt. Beet greens are a bit salty naturally.





I have another quick trick my mom taught me and would like to share. Sweet potato is another super food but it just takes so long to cook. I put them in with my rice and they're done when the rice is done. This method saves time and energy. Jebu ate the whole red Japanese sweet potato on the left.





I also made some chicken and peas from our backyard garden. Well, the peas are from the garden, the chicken is not. Although, I'm working on getting a few pet hens for their fresh eggs (no, not for the meat). We'll see.

This is Jebu's plate before.

And his plate after.

I'm a happy mother when my kids finish their food!

Next time, I'll actually cook the beetroot. 

Comments

Popular Posts